Exhibition of the Theater Museum of the Berezil Artistic Association, 1925

The Museum of Theater, Music and Cinema of Ukraine was founded on January 30, 1923 as the theater museum of the Berezil Artistic Association headed by Les Kurbas. A museum committee of actors was formed: V Vasylko (committee head), L. Hakkebush (deputy head), O. Shvachko (committee secretary), M. Savchenko, V. Haivoronskyi and M. Kononenko. Later, actors O. Serdiuk, P. Masokha and D. Demutskyi, who was in charge of the photo laboratory at Berezil Artistic Association, took an active part in the museum.

The museum collection was started with items from V. Vasylko’s personal archive: some 800 negatives and photographs.

On December 31, 1923 the museum committee organized the first exhibition. On the walls they hung the most valuable and visually appealing items, such as sketches, photos and posters. The rest of the items were listed. The Berezil Theater Museum gained its right to life when by decision of the Kyiv Provincial Executive Committee the premises of the V. Lenin Theater (former M. Solovtsov Theater) was given to the Berezil Artistic Association.

During the winter 1924-1925 season, Berezil received the premises of the V. Lenin Theater (former M. Solovtsov Theater). The museum exhibition was displayed in three rooms in the foyer. Berezil staff gave tours and continued to put together the collection of the Theater Museum, which from the beginning was planned as an all-Ukrainian museum.